"Let food by thy medicine, and medicine be thy food"
"The gut is literally the trunk of the tree. If the trunk is rotten... the tree does not bear it's fruit."
Facilitated digestion, optimal gastrointestinal function, and good nutrition is the cornerstone of naturopathic medicine and good health. When the gut works well, the skin is clearer, mood improves, there is less constipation, less diarrhea, more facilitated bowel movements, less joint pain, less other aches and pains, and it becomes easier to maintain proper weight. With good digestion and whole nutrition, the body looks better and feels better, and there is an overall increase in vitality. This staves off illness. A car engine doesn't run as good on poor gasoline. A car will run better on high-octane gasoline.
An ever growing body of research is confirming what Naturopaths have know for a long time: Illness begins in the gut. The connection of the gut/brain axis, the state of the neuroendocrine system, the state of the gut ecosystem called the "micro-biome" are all receiving much notoriety lately the the literature. Some neurological diseases such Alzheimers, Parkinsons, ALS, and M.S. are being traced to gut health, immunology, and the neuro-biochemistry of connection between the gut, vagus nerve, and brain. It is all connected.
The endeavor at Bozeman, MT's Bridger Natural Medicine Clinic is to insure good and optimal gastrointestinal function by restoring balance to the micro-biome, restoring and maintaining a proper functioning of the "gut/brain axis," selecting and working with a diet that is individualized to achieve healthy gut function and optimal health.
ND's have nearly double the hours as registered dietician, so ND's are most qualified to speak to diet and sound clinical nutrition. There are so many diets out there. Whether we speak paleo, vegetarian, vegan, blood type, Mediterranean, Atkins, Keto, or others... Dr. Lemley assists to discern between fads and what is truly ideal for each individual based on sound science and clinical literature, with great clinical outcomes.
Gastrointestinal conditions commonly seen and treated:
- Constipation and Diarrhea
- Gas and bloating, heartburn (GERD) and indigestion
- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), a common cause of many GI problems.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Peptic Ulcer Disease (PUDz)
- Liver Conditions (hepatitis and fatty liver disease)
- Candida Albicans
- Celiac Disease
- Leaky Gut Syndrome
- Food intolerances, allergies and sensitivities, including gluten sensitivity, gluten allergy or gluten intolerance.
- Other gastrointestinal related conditions such as: acne vulgaris, eczema (yep, those aren't skin problems but gut problems), autoimmune disorders, acne rosacea, chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia, scleroderma, restless leg syndrome, anxiety and depression and some neurological disorders stemming from gut dysbiosis.
Dr. Lemley will identify the cause of digestive discomfort, utilizing a good intake and perform functional and comprehensive digestive testing, if indicated. He can identify food intolerances, sensitivities and allergens and formulate a nutrition plan that works best for the patient. The endeavor is to restore balance to the gut micro-biome and its respective ecosystem.
Did 'ya know we have over 7 pounds of "bugs" in our gut? Most are good, some are bad. When the bad bacteria overgrow, this throws off the gut ecosystem, a term known as "dysbiosis." Restoring GI function means fixing the underlying dysbiosis and decreasing inflammatory states that can lead to constipation, diarrhea, and other uncomfortable symptoms.
Identify and remove obstacles causing SIBO, use of antibacterial herbs or antibiotics (if necessary), dietary counseling, candida treatment, specific nutritional supplementation designed to heal gut mucosa, digestive enzymes, probiotic selection and support.
- Eat comfortably, without pain, gas, bloating.
- Less irritation from food, eating a larger variety of foods
- Reducing inflammation in the body
- Better weight regulation
- Increased nutrient absorption, including water soluble and fat soluble vitamins for reduced vitamin deficiencies.
- Have normal, healthy bowel movements that are formed and facilitated
- Establish a healthy nutrition plan designed for ideal and optimal health and strong gastrointestinal functioning.
- Better energy and vitality!!!